Sunday, November 20, 2005

Christmas is on its way!

Well the first week of teaching really went well. No complaints on my end, and only positive feedback from my co-op! Other teachers have heard about some lessons I planned on doing and they were hoping to see if I could get in their classrooms as well! How cool! If there's time I'd love to work in other grades, but we'll have to wait and see...

Friday night I headed to downtown Melbourne by myself to check out the Christmas Tree Lighting extravaganza. I heard about it, and really had no other plans, so I took the train into the city and had a look for myself. I am glad that I did! It was a two hour show of music, dancing, a stunt orchestra (makes me miss my violin...But it was so cool), bands, The Rugrats, and of course Santa! All the festivities led to the lighting of the tree at 9:15. It was great to hear the old Christmas favorites, but funny to hear them sing White Christmas when many of them haven't even seen snow. The idea of Christmas being so close is crazy, but the evening made me realize how glad I am to know that I will be home for Christmas. It really made me realize all those people that I have been and continue to miss. I am glad that I came to Australia, but I think, at least in particular on this night, it felt as though to travel such a long distance for a long time, I should have traveled with someone. It's hard to be in a city so full of people, not one knowing who you are, where you're from, or even knowing that you are here all alone in a place far away from the comforts of home. Don't get me wrong, I do love it here, but there are moments you can just feel so alone. All in all the evening was fantastic and I survived the train rides by myself and the walk home from the station. I am happy I went.

Saturday morning we headed to St. Andrews market, which I think can be described as a market for hippies. It was a little weird, but cool at the same time. The place smelled of incense, and there was music playing. People were selling Indian clothes, tie dye, fresh grown vegetables and baked goods, tons of jewelry, and a variety of odds and ends. After that we grabbed some Thai food and headed to visit my new host family to make sure they'd be ready for me tomorrow!

I am a little excited to move to another house, but at the same time I have to start all over. It's like I'm just getting comfortable here and then its time to pick up and move. This new family has a 20 year old daughter, which I think will be good for getting me out of the house and into the city more. But really, who knows what this new family will be like.

Tomorrow I get to go to church with another teacher from the school I'm at, and then there is the local market and a fair in town tomorrow. Then moving time! Monday at school I'm on a field trip all day watching the kids play cricket, but I should be able to get pictures up on Tuesday!

1 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Delano said...

Positive feedback from your teacher.... really cool! I am so glad that you are asserting yourself in your classroom. The word is getting out. Doesn't it feel good? I am also happy that you have no regrets coming to Australia. Take Care

5:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home